Within seconds of its opening beats, Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars’, “Uptown Funk” is immediately recognizable. Pin it as a wedding favorite, a feel-good track or your aunty’s go-to for a quick living room boogie, this infectious dance tune is omnipresent in pop culture.
And it’s one that gets consistently referred to in the sync and production world. Requests for songs that sound like Uptown Funk is a daily occurrence. So we took it to the test to explore just how many great tracks we could find with the same vibe, energy and overall funkiness and feel-goodness.
In the spirit of a 1980s funk track, “Uptown Funk” has influences of disco, soul, and boogie with a modern, slightly electronic element to it. It is defined by its slapping bass lines, playful synths, upbeat, swaggy brass and call-and-response verse structure. It’s almost impossible not to imagine Prince, The Gap Band, or Chaka Khan grooving to the song, reminiscent of their times performing on the dance floor, or on Soul Train.
Using our audio referencing search on our internal catalogue of over 100,000 tracks, we worked hand-in-hand with our AI to curate a groove-worthy, production-ready playlist. And it only took 10 minutes.
Curious? Take a listen to our 10-minute AI-generated playlist inspired by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars’, “Uptown Funk”, here.
- Chaka Khan – Like Sugar
- Ron Basejam – Time (feat Vern)
- George Benson – Give Me The Night
- Oddisee – Uptown Cabaret
- Elektrons – Get Up (Greg Wilson Special Mix)
- Billy Ocean – Nights (Feel Like Gettin’ Down)
- Discrotron – Love & Happiness (Original Mix)
- Prince – Controversy
- Teddy Pendergrass – You Can’t Hide From Yourself (DFP Disco Blend)
- Michael Jackson – Off The Wall (Dr Packer Rework)
- Uptown Funk Empire – Boogie
- Circle City Band – Magic
- Juan Laya & Jorge Montiel Feat. Mikie Blak – The Boogie Is Back (Instrumental 2.0 Version)
- Alice Russell – Living The Life Of A Dreamer (Mr Scruff Remix)
- Ed Wizard & Disco Double Dee – Rollin On (& On)
- Noname – Blaxploitation
- Deee-Lite – Heart Be Still